Glazed Corned Beef & Cabbage N Irish Stout Beer
Rose Mary Mogan
We were both very impressed with the outcome of the meal. I served it with Dan's Favorite Irish Soda Bread, & made the Andes Mint Chunk Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, and also made a Marbled Mint Layer cake, all was very good & I was very exhausted afterwards.
The meal was worth it,& something my husband looks forward to yearly.
- 6 1/2 lb
- corned beef flats (not the point cuts)
- 1 bottle
- 12 oz. Irish stout beer (more if desired)
- bay leaves
- 6 clove
- garlic chopped in large pieces
- 3 lb
- red skin potatoes; washed & quartered
- 2 lb
- baby carrots
- 3 large
- onions; cut into 6's or 8's pieces
- 1 bunch
- green onions; chopped (optional)
- cabbage heads; cut into wedges
- 6-8 large
- cabbage leaves; blanched or mircowaved for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 stick
- 1 c
- Heinz catsup (my personal favorite)
- 1 c
- Splenda brown sugar blend (not firmly packed)
- 2 Tbsp
- brown mustard or Dijon mustard
- 1/3 c
- apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp
- horseradish (from refrigerated section)
CORNED BEEF BRISKET GLAZE
How to Make Glazed Corned Beef & Cabbage N Irish Stout Beer
- 1This is the large pot I used to cook the corned beef briskets in. The formula for cooking corned beef briskets is usually between 50 minutes to 1 hour per pound. But if you are cooking 6 1/2 pounds as I did today, use the time for the largest piece of meat, NOT the combined total for the weight of the meat. These 2 pieces cooked in about 3 hours, on SIMMER, AFTER THE WATER CAME TO A BOIL.
- 6When cook time has elapsed, remove briskets from pot and place on a rack in a large roasting pan, PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES F. Prepare glaze, by combining all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer until butter has melted, then brush on top of briskets every 10 minutes, for a total of about 3 times. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 9Blanch or microwave large outer cabbage leaves for about 5 to 6 minutes. Wash first and allow a little water to stay on the leaves, place in a covered bowl, and cook in microwave till bright green. Then line large platter with the leaves cutting in half if need be, then retrieve the veggies from the pot with a large slotted spoon, and place in platter, sprinkle with chopped green onions or chopped chive, garnish with bell pepper strips if desired.