Crnd Beef & Dumplings w/ Cabbage & Potatoes
Rose Mary Mogan
I added all the trimming. They only had the potatoes & dumplings with a side of cabbage in their dish.
I used Red Skin Potatoes, Onions, Carrots, Cabbage & Sweet Peppers, & made 2 Corned Beef Flats. I made the dumplings using Bisquik, & not Self Rising flour, as they used in their recipe.
This was a perfect dinner idea on a cool brisk Illinois Day. Both my husband & I enjoyed it, but even more so my husband. I blanched the outer cabbage leaves to line the serving platter.
- 6 1/2 lb
- corned beef (flat) i used 2 with seasoning packets
- 1 lb
- carrots, peeled & cut on the bias(my choice)
- 2 large
- onions quartered into eights
- 3 lb
- red skin potatoes
- mini sweet peppers (rainbow colors)
- 1 medium
- cabbage about 3 pounds with outer green leaves
- 2 c
- bisquick baking mix ( plus extra for making/rolling dumplings)
- 1 Tbsp
- dried chive
- 2/3-1 c
- beef broth or liquid from cooked corned beef
- 1 small
- onion grated ( i used a box grater)
- 2 tsp
- coarse black pepper
- 2 tsp
- granulated garlic powder
- salt (optional) i chose not to use any
SAVORY BISQUICK DUMPLINGS
How to Make Crnd Beef & Dumplings w/ Cabbage & Potatoes
- 4Place on stove over medium high heat, and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam accumulation. Lower heat to a simmer and continue to cook for about 3 hours. Usually the time frame is about 50 minutes per pound. But because I had 2 pieces I chose to cook mine for a total of 3 hours, use your own judgement. Cook till meat is tender.
- 12Prepare the dumplings by adding all of the ingredients to a medium size bowl and stirring to bring dough together. Shape into a ball, and pinch of small amounts and roll into balls in desired sizes, using extra Bisquick as needed to prevent dumplings from sticking to hands, and lay on large platter till all are done. Drop into boiling liquid and cook for about 8-10 minutes with the lid on pot. BISQUICK DID NOT NEED 15 MINUTES AS SUGGESTED IN ORIGINAL RECIPE using self rising flour, although that is the amount of time what I used this time, next time I will cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until they rise to the top and are tender. Remove with slotted spoon and add chopped chive if desired.