Corned Beef and Cabbage with no seasoning packet
Most of my questions about the seasonings said to use pickling spice?
I make my own pickling spice and it has corriander, ginger, cloves, and cardomom in it, fine for pickles but for our tastes, not for corned beef and cabbage.
I came up with this combo, and it turned out really good.
- 3 to 4 lb
- corned beef
- 2 large
- onions, quartered
- 6 to 8 medium
- 1 small
- cabbage, quartered, leave core in
- 14.9 oz
- guinnes beer
- water to almost cover the beef
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 medium
- bay leaves
- 1 tsp
- minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp
- crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste, use your judgement on this one
- potatoes if desired, using whole baby potatoes works well here.
How to Make Corned Beef and Cabbage with no seasoning packet
- 1Using a disposable liner in your slow cooker will make cleanup easier, not necessary, but Ii hate cleanups.
- 2Put your carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker, and then the beef on top.
- 3Tuck the onions in around the sides.
- 4Pour the beer over all, then enough water to almost cover the beef.
- 5Sprinkle the seasonings over all.
Reserve the potatoes and carrots for later.
- 6Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. The last 1 1/2 hours add the potatoes and cabbage, this makes them so they are not overcooked.