Corned Beef and Cabbage with no seasoning packet
Most of my questions about the seasonings said to use pickling spice?
I make my own pickling spice and it has corriander, ginger, cloves, and cardomom in it, fine for pickles but for our tastes, not for corned beef and cabbage.
I came up with this combo, and it turned out really good.
3 to 4 lbcorned beef
2 largeonions, quartered
6 to 8 mediumcarrots
1 smallcabbage, quartered, leave core in
14.9 ozguinnes beer
·water to almost cover the beef
1/2 tspmustard seeds
2 mediumbay leaves
1 tspminced garlic
1/4 tspcrushed red pepper
·salt and pepper to taste, use your judgement on this one
·potatoes if desired, using whole baby potatoes works well here.
How to Make Corned Beef and Cabbage with no seasoning packet
- Using a disposable liner in your slow cooker will make cleanup easier, not necessary, but Ii hate cleanups.
- Put your carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker, and then the beef on top.
- Tuck the onions in around the sides.
- Pour the beer over all, then enough water to almost cover the beef.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over all.
Reserve the potatoes and carrots for later.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. The last 1 1/2 hours add the potatoes and cabbage, this makes them so they are not overcooked.