Border-Style Flank Steak Grilled Burritos W/Cilantro Chimichurri Sauce
Serve these burritos with fresh guacamole, sour cream for dipping, a black bean-corn salad and Mexican rice for a fresh alternative to the usual burgers & dogs cookout.
2 lbflank, sirloin or skirt steak, trimmed of any excess fat
1 2/3 cextra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 clightly packed chopped fresh cilantro
5 clovegarlic-smashed and finely minced
1/2 cprepared molé paste [from an 8.25-oz. jar; can be found on latin foods aisle of most grocery stores]
1 1/2 cbrown sugar or honey-flavored barbecue sauce
3avocados-peeled, pitted and thinly sliced lengthwise
1 cjulienned red radishes
12burrito-sized flour tortillas, warm
How to Make Border-Style Flank Steak Grilled Burritos W/Cilantro Chimichurri Sauce
- Place flank steak between two pieces of plastic wrap. Use bumpy side of meat mallet to pound steak to half its original thickness. In a 9x13x1-inch glass baking dish, whisk together 2/3 cup of oil; juice and zest of 2 limes; 1/2 cup cilantro; 2 garlic cloves; and 1/4 cup barbecue sauce. Place steak pieces in marinade and turn to coat. Let steaks stand and marinate for at least 20 minutes at room temperature or up 4 hours in refrigerator covered with plastic wrap.
- Place a 1-quart saucepan over medium high heat, and add 2 tablespoons of oil along with 1 garlic clove. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, or just until garlic is softened. Add mole paste along with 1/2 cup of water to garlic, and cook, whisking until blended, for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining barbecue sauce to saucepan and reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small glass bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup of oil along with remaining cilantro and garlic along with juice of 2 limes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat grill until hot. Place steaks on grill and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, brushing each side with barbecue mole sauce twice during cooking time. Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice in crosswise strips.
- To assemble and grill burritos, place several strips of steak down center of burrito, drizzle 1 tablespoon of barbecue molé sauce over steak; top with a 2-3 avocado slices and 1 tablespoon of radish pieces. Fold two sides up over filling and then roll from one unfolded side to the other and secure with 1-2 toothpicks. Use a pastry brush to brush bit of remaining oil over burrito. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Place burritos on grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or just until lightly golden brown. Serve with cilantro chimichurri sauce for dipping. Cut remaining limes into wedges and pass for squeezing over burritos.