Mint Lemonade - Turkish Style
This treat is refreshing and so much healthier than soft drinks, it is well worth the extra effort.
After taking a sip of this beautiful drink, you will be surprised at its lemon taste without the sourness, that one has comes to expect from lemonade.
Rubbing the lemon and lime rinds with the sugar before they are mixed with the lemon juice, creates a smooth, sweet lemonade minus the bite.
·1½ cups, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
·6 cups water
·2 teaspoons lemon rind
·1 cup fresh mint leaves
·4 large ripe lemons
·water (or sparkling water - optional)
How to Make Mint Lemonade - Turkish Style
- In a large saucepan, add 1½ cups sugar and water, stir and set aside until needed.
- Peel the lemons and limes and then grate the rinds.
- Now, using a mortar and pestle, pound the lemon and lime rind with the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar until the sugar absorbs the flavors.
- If you DON`T have a mortar and pestle, (use a wooden spoon) rub the lemon and lime rind in the 2 tablespoons of sugar. (until the sugar absorbs the flavors)
- Put the grated rinds in the saucepan with the water and sugar and bring the mixture to boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat and continue to boil gently for 5 minutes then remove from the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- While the mixture is still slightly warm, add the lemon lime juice and mint.
- When cooled pour into a large bowl, and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the bowl from the fridge and strain the mixture using a fine mesh wire strainer.
- Press down on the ingredients to get out as much liquid as possible, then discard them.
- If needed, adjust the amount of sugar and water to your liking.
- Serve this beautiful Mint lemonade with ice, lemon slices and mint sprigs. Enjoy