Pwdin Eva (Welsh Apple Dessert)
1 1/3 lbcooking apples - peeled, cored and roughly chopped
6 Tbsplight brown sugar (or light muscovado sugar)
1 smalllemon, juiced and zested
1/2 tspground cinnamon
1/2 cupsugar (caster sugar or super-fine sugar are best, but you can use granulated sugar)
1/2 tspvanilla extract
13 Tbspself-rising flour (it's 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp)
·vanilla custard or whipped cream (for serving)
How to Make Pwdin Eva (Welsh Apple Dessert)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place apple chunks, brown sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and cinnamon in bowl, and toss until apples are well coated. Transfer to a 9-inch (2-liter) baking dish, and set aside.
- Beat the butter and white sugar in a medium size bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Sift the flour into the bowl, and stir to incorporate flour into the butter mixture.
- Spread the dough evenly over the apples. Place the baking dish in preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned and cooked evenly.
- Lightly dust the top with a bit of white sugar, and serve immediately with custard or whipped cream. Or let cool, and serve later at room temperature.
TIP: This will freeze well for up to 3 months if wrapped well. Defrost thoroughly, then reheat thawed pudding at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes.