Evelyn’s Cranberry Salad
I've taken it to gatherings and had good response.
- 1 pkg
- fresh cranberries
- 1 can(s)
- crushed pineapple in its own juice (important: juice, not syrup)
- 1 bunch
- lg bunch dark red seedless grapes
- 3/4 c
- walnuts (or pecans) chopped large
- 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon, ground
How to Make Evelyn’s Cranberry Salad
- 1The night before: Crush/shred the cranberries in a food processor
- 2Mix crushed cranberries and pineapple together (include the pineapple juice) – set aside in the refrigerator (overnight is best)
- 3The next day, halve the grapes, or you can pluck, wash, and add them whole
- 4Fold in the nuts
- 5sprinkle the cinnamon over the salad, stir, and let sit for 20 minutes
- 6Serve chilled as a side dish, or dessert
- 7Note: The cranberries and pineapple in its own juice must sit overnight. There is some sort of chemical reaction between these two ingredients that takes place – you will see the mixture begin to foam and bubble. In the morning the cranberries are sweetened and ready to eat just as they are without added sugar. Taste them. If you feel they need sugar then try a little Stevia, to taste. Remember the grapes will also sweeten the mix.
- 8Note: My mother (Evelyn) used to add one cup of whipped cream, and tiny marshmallows, and she did not use the cinnamon. I have tried it with vanilla pudding, also. Either one tastes good, but I now prefer the salad without all that extra sugary stuff.