Lemon Velvet Pie
I know some the recipes are really lacking in some or all areas, but I am posting them as they are in the cookbook
1 1/3 csugar
6 Tbspcorn starch
1 Tbspgrated lemon peel
1/3 cstrained fresh lemon juice
1envelope unflavored gelatin
1 clight cream
19-inch baked pie shell
1 cheavy cream, whipped
6 to 8walnut halves
How to Make Lemon Velvet Pie
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan; add 1 1/2 cups boiling water, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring.
- Beat egg yolks slightly; add some of hot mixture to egg yolks, blending well.
- Return mixture to saucepan; add butter. Cook for 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Remove generous 1/2 cup filling and reserve.
- Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup water; add to hot mixture, stirring until gelatin is thoroughly dissolved.
- Blend in light cream; chill until slightly thickened.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry; fold carefully into chilled mixture.
- Pour into pie shell; chill until partially set.
- Spread reserved filling over top; chill until firm.
- Serve topped with whipped cream.
- Garnish with walnuts.
Mrs. J. H. Mitchell
Grants Church of God LWWB
Grants, New Mexico