Lemon Velvet Pie
I know some the recipes are really lacking in some or all areas, but I am posting them as they are in the cookbook
- 1 1/3 c
- 6 Tbsp
- corn starch
- 1/4 tsp
- eggs, separated
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- grated lemon peel
- 1/3 c
- strained fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp
- envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 c
- light cream
- 9-inch baked pie shell
- 1 c
- heavy cream, whipped
- 6 to 8
- walnut halves
How to Make Lemon Velvet Pie
- 1Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan; add 1 1/2 cups boiling water, stirring constantly.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring.
- 3Beat egg yolks slightly; add some of hot mixture to egg yolks, blending well.
- 4Return mixture to saucepan; add butter. Cook for 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. DO NOT BOIL.
- 5Remove from heat; stir in lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla.
- 6Remove generous 1/2 cup filling and reserve.
- 7Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup water; add to hot mixture, stirring until gelatin is thoroughly dissolved.
- 8Blend in light cream; chill until slightly thickened.
- 9Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry; fold carefully into chilled mixture.
- 10Pour into pie shell; chill until partially set.
- 11Spread reserved filling over top; chill until firm.
- 12Serve topped with whipped cream.
- 13Garnish with walnuts.
Mrs. J. H. Mitchell
Grants Church of God LWWB
Grants, New Mexico