Lady Rose's Fresh Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Rose Mary Mogan
I must admit,as much as I love it, I had never made one from scratch before, until yesterday. I had made one with a jarred filling, but never from scratch.
So with about 10 cookbooks in hand I looked at many different recipes before deciding to try my spin using several different elements from various recipes.
This is the version I ended up with that was so tasty, slightly tart & sweet.
My husband did not give it time to cool completely, before he dug in. It was great
- 1 1/4 lb
- fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces(3 cups)
- 1 qt
- fresh strawberries, washed, hulled & quartered
- 4 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 2 large
- eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- vanilla bean paste, or vanilla extract
- 2 tsp
- lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 pkg
- refrigerated double crust pie crust,(or make your own)
- 1 1/2-2 Tbsp
- white decorators sugar crystals, or use reg. sugar
- 1/4 c
- heavy whipping cream or (1 egg plus 1 tbs water beaten together)
- 4-6 c
- boiling hot water
How to Make Lady Rose's Fresh Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 9Add top crust, and crimp edges of both top and bottom crust together. Brush top of crust with heavy whipping cream or egg wash, then sprinkle top with the decorators sugar or regular sugar, which ever you are using. Make 5-6 slashes in top of crust with sharp knife to allow steam to escape as it cooks.