Homemade Cherry Pie
- 3 can(s)
- tart pitted cherries, 15.5 ounce size
- 3/4 c
- 1/4 c
- plus one tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 c
- juice from the cherries
- 1/2 c
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- almond extract
- drops red food coloring (optional)
- pastry for double-crust, 9 inch pie. you may use prepared crust or use your favorite recipe. i use my fool-proof pie crust recipe. Fool-Proof Pie Crust
How to Make Homemade Cherry Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- 2Drain cherries, reserving one cup of the juice from the cherries. Set aside.
- 3In a medium sauce pan, add 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Mix together well, removing any lumps. Add cherry juice and stir. Cook over medium heat until smooth and thickened.
- 4Remove from heat and gently fold in cherries, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, almond extract and food coloring. Pour into bottom pie shell. Place pie shell on top, sealing and crimping edges.
- 5Brush pie crust with milk and sprinkle with raw sugar. Cut a few small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Cover sealed edges with strips of aluminum foil to prevent over-baking.
- 6Put pie in preheated oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if desired.