Homemade Cherry Pie
3 can(s)tart pitted cherries, 15.5 ounce size
1/4 cplus one tablespoon corn starch
1/4 tspground cinnamon
1 cjuice from the cherries
1/2 tspalmond extract
5drops red food coloring (optional)
·pastry for double-crust, 9 inch pie. you may use prepared crust or use your favorite recipe. i use my fool-proof pie crust recipe. Fool-Proof Pie Crust
How to Make Homemade Cherry Pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Drain cherries, reserving one cup of the juice from the cherries. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, add 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Mix together well, removing any lumps. Add cherry juice and stir. Cook over medium heat until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat and gently fold in cherries, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, almond extract and food coloring. Pour into bottom pie shell. Place pie shell on top, sealing and crimping edges.
- Brush pie crust with milk and sprinkle with raw sugar. Cut a few small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Cover sealed edges with strips of aluminum foil to prevent over-baking.
- Put pie in preheated oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if desired.