Coconut Cream Pie Rhonda's
I did not use butter don't know why this is in the recipe.
I did not use extract just plain vanilla=An extract would make it thinner or would not hold it together.
I used a mixture of flour and cornstarch. Flour to thick and cornstarch to thin=use both.
I used 2% milk
I guess it's like a formula when using milk that is thicker than other's and that why you have to compensate for what ever you have to make it a balanced fil
- 1 1/4 c
- fresh grated coconut lightly toasted just to dry it a little
- 1 tsp
- vanilla flavoring
- egg yolks
- 2 1/2 c
- 2% milk
- 1/4 c
- flour & cornstarch 1/8 cup of each
- pinch of salt
- baked pie shell
- 3/4 c
- sugar or i used 1/4 c sugar and 12 packets sweetener
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie Rhonda's
- 1Defrost and bake your pie shell. Make sure you brush it with some of the egg yolk before baking the shell. I used a pie tin left over from a store bought pie and it was perfect size, 8 inch I believe.
- 2In a saucepan add 2 cups of the milk and the sugar & salt. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside
- 3In a bowl whisk the 3 yolks. Set aside
- 4In another bowl mix the remaining milk and flour and corn starch.
- 5Grate and lightly toast your fresh coconut. *Note I prefer my coconut white not browned and not dried out. So I toast it just enough to dry it so it is not wet. I also put any chunks to small to grate in the blender and blend them. Then I toast it about 7 min at 400 degrees.
- 6Measure and Have your coconut and vanilla ready.
- 7Now start heating the milk and sugar and salt on low. When it is warm take some of the milk 1/8 c and temper the egg yolks and whisk.
- 8Then add the flour and cornstarch mixture to the yolks and whisk again.
- 9Add the flour, cornstarch, & yolks to the hot milk and stir or whisk it in.
- 10Turn up the heat to 3-4 on the dial and stir the mixture constantly so it does not stick and until it is thick and bubbly like pudding. *Note: Taste it while your cooking, the flour and cornstarch taste should go away when done and it should taste like pudding.
- 11Remove from heat and add vanilla stir then add coconut and mix. Pour into your baked pie shell and refridgerater for 2-4 hours.
- 12Serve And Enjoy your delicious pie.