Annie Scarlets Sour Cherry Pie
- 5 c
- red sour pitted cherries (fresh)
- 4 Tbsp
- 1 1/4 c
- cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp
- lemon zest, grated
- 1/2 tsp
- almond extract
- 1/4 tsp
- 3 c
- 3 stick
- butter, cracked (irish organic)
- 1 large
- 5 Tbsp
- water cold ( plus)
- 1 Tbsp
- vinegar (white)
- 1 tsp
- sea salt
4 PATS OF BUTTER, RAW SUGAR TO SPRINKLE ON TOP
How to Make Annie Scarlets Sour Cherry Pie
- 1Pie Crust 3 hours before: In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter, gradually work the Butter into the flour for about 3 or 4 minutes until it resembles a coarse meal. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork and then pour it into the flour/Butter mixture. Add 5 tablespoons of cold water, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated. You may need to add more cold water since you are using butter and not shortening it is not as soft as shortening.
- 2Separate the dough in half. Form 2 evenly sized balls of dough and place each dough into a large Ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough (about ½ inch thick) to make rolling easier later. Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them, or in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. On a floured surface roll the dough, starting at the center and working your way out. (Sprinkle some flour over top of the dough if it’s a bit too moist.) If the dough is sticking to the countertop use a metal spatula and carefully scrape it up and flip it over and continue rolling until it’s about ½ inch larger in diameter than your pie pan.
With a spatula, lift the dough carefully from the surface of the counter into the pie pan. Gently press the dough against the corner of the pan. Go around the pie pan pinching and tucking the dough to make a clean edge.
- 3Preheat oven to 425*
Wash and pit cherries place in large bowl. Combine cherries, tapioca, lemon zest, sugar, almond extract, nutmeg. Let stand while pastry is being prepared. Fill Pie shell with your pie filling dot with your butter pats and put your pastry on top. Seal the edges. Cut 4 vent slit circle wise on top, sprinkle your raw sugar on top.
- 4Place foil around the edges of the crust leave on take off the last 5 min of baking. So the crust will not burn.
Bake for 30-40 min till golden brown and bthe juices will have bubbled through on top...