Family Favorite Granola Bars
You can easily adapt these to whatever you have on hand. Sometimes I omit the chocolate chips and add craisins, raisins, cinnamon and chopped nuts. Any dried fruit or nuts work just fine. A great way to use up dried fruit, etc. Feel free to mix and match and make them your own!
I usually double the recipe and freeze half.
1 1/2 crice krispies
1 1/2 coatmeal, uncooked (old fashioned or quick cooking)
1/2 cbrown sugar
1/2 ccorn syrup or honey
1/2 cpeanut butter
1 1/2 tspvanilla
1/4 cchocolate chips (place in freezer for 15 minutes)
1/4 cnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
How to Make Family Favorite Granola Bars
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan or cookie sheet.
- Combine cereal, nuts and oats in large bowl.
- In saucepan, combine corn syrup (or honey), brown sugar and salt just to a low boil.
- Remove from heat and add peanut butter and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients.
- Pour onto prepared pan and working quickly with slightly wet hands form into a rectangle based on how thick you want your bars to be. Press chocolate chips firmly into bars. (Don't mix them into the hot cereal mixture beforehand as they will melt.)
- Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate until they begin to firm. Cut into bars and return to refrigerator until firm. Place in individual ziplock bags and store at room temp.