Apple Cheddar Scones
This delicious recipe is adapted from a recipe in The Perfect Finish, a lovely dessert book. These are as close to perfect as a scone can get!
- 2 large
- firm, tart apples (granny smiths work great)
- 11/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/4 c
- granulated sugar (plus a little for dusting)
- 1/2 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 6 Tbsp
- cold butter (not margarine) , diced
- 1/2 c
- shredded cheddar (i use mild cheddar but sharp works well for more flavor)
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream
- 2 large
- eggs (1 for batter & 1 for wash)
- (if desired, cinnamon and sugar mixture to sprinkle on after egg wash instead of plain sugar.)
How to Make Apple Cheddar Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Peel, core and slice apples into sixteenths. Place them in a single on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the slices are dry to the touch and slightly colored. Allow to cool completely.
- 3Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- 4In a separate bowl, blend together butter, cheese, cream and one egg.
- 5Coarsely chop cooled apple slices and stir into butter mixture.
- 6Mix butter mixture into flour mixture just until it begin to come together. (I mix with my hands so I am sure to not over mix.) It's ok to have large chunks of butter as this will add moisture to the scone as it bakes.
- 7Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, and mold into a disc shape. Flour your rolling pin (or press it out with your fingers) and roll to about 1/2 inch in thickness. Cut into 6 triangular pieces.
- 8Line your baking sheet with parchment paper again. Place each scone on prepared pan leaving roughly 2 inches between the scones.
- 9Beat remaining egg in a bowl and brush on each scone and sprinkle each scone with sugar or cinnamon and sugar, if you prefer. Bake @ 375 degrees F. for about 20-30 minutes until firm and golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- 10These freeze well prior to baking. To prepare from frozen, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake as above but for perhaps a little longer.