Banana Ice Cream - Dairy Free
It is super simple and delicious AND it's good for you !
We make it our own by adding in extra fun things ... see the recipe for some suggestions.
I love to keep some frozen bananas in the freezer so they are ready to go whenever we get the desire for some of this yummyness.
It only takes a couple of minutes and it is so good !
How to Make Banana Ice Cream - Dairy Free
- You need those extra ripe bananas for this recipe.
Use as many as you have .. at least 3 to start.
- Peel and cut the bananas into coins about 1/2" thick.
Place onto a baking sheet or into a freezer safe container.
Freeze them until they are hard - at least 2 or 3 hours.
- Once the bananas are frozen, begin dropping them into your food processor a few at a time and whirl them around until they look like gravel.
- Slowly add coconut milk in small amounts until the bananas have the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
- At this point you are done and can serve it as a soft serve or cover and freeze and serve it as regular hard ice cream.
- UNLESS - you want to fancy it up and do some add in fun stuff !
This would be the time to do your add ins - before you freeze the ice cream.
- Add Ins :
You only need a tiny amount .. roughly 1 Tablespoon of add in per 3 bananas.
This can be anything you want. Some that we have used are peanut butter, hot fudge, jam, chocolate chips.
Really it can be anything that sounds good to you.
If you are using anything thick like peanut butter, hot fudge or jam you will need to melt it before adding in.
Note that peanut butter is a very strong flavor and can overwhelm the banana flavor so use it sparingly.
- The best way to do the add ins is to get the ice cream into a container and then poke holes down into it. Then fill the holes with whatever add in you are using. Then take a table knife and swirl that add in around.
- NOTE: If you prefer to use dairy I suggest cream or full fat milk for best flavor in place of the coconut milk.