Coconut Pecan Granola
Try adding broken banana chips and diced dried pineapple AFTER the granola has cooked and cooled. (Cooking the fruit will dehydrate it further, becoming too difficult to chew.)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 coats, uncooked (steel cut or whole, do not use quick cook)
1 cbrown sugar, lightly packed
1 cbutter, melted
1/2 tspfreshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cchopped pecans
1 1/2 cflaked unsweetened coconut
1 Tbsppure vanilla extract
2 tspcoconut extract
How to Make Coconut Pecan Granola
- Preheat oven to 275 F or 140 C. In a large bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, fresh ground nutmeg, and extracts. Stir with spoon until smooth.
- Add chopped pecans and let stand for 20 minutes for the nuts to soak up the sugar and extracts.
- Add 4 cups steel cut or uncooked oatmeal. (Do not use quick cook oatmeal or else it will dissolve into the wet ingredients.) Stir well and let stand another 5 minutes for the oats to soak up the butter, sugar, and flavors.
- Add coconut and stir lightly until incorporated. Don't over-stir to avoid discoloring the coconut. (It will toast to a pretty golden brown.)
- Divide mixture in half and spread onto two cookie pans lined with parchment paper. Cook for 45 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Let cool (or not - this tastes amazing gooey hot over ice cream).
Toss and store in sealed container.