Spiced Apple Rings - Food.com
- 12 lb
- firm tart apples, no more than 2 1/2-inch diameter
- 12 c
- 6 c
- 1 1?4 c
- white vinegar, 5
- 3 Tbsp
- whole cloves
- 3?4 c
- red hot cinnamon candies or 8 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp
- red food coloring (optional)
How to Make Spiced Apple Rings - Food.com
- 1Wash apples. Peel and slice one apple at a time. Immediately cut crosswise into 1/2" slices, remove core area with a melon baller and immerse in ascorbic acid solution to keep the apples from discoloring.
- 2In a 6 quart saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cloves, cinnamon candies, or cinnamon sticks and food coloring (if using).
- 3Heat to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves then lower heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- 4Drain apples and add to hot syrup, and cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Fill prepared jars with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving a 1/2" headspace.
- 6Check for air bubbles and add more liquid if needed to maintain the 1/2" headspace.
- 7Process pint or quart size jars in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Adjust time according to your altitude.
- 8NOTE: This can also be pressure canned. Pressure Canner - Hot pack pints or quarts and process for 8 minutes at the pressure specified according to your altitude and / or style of canner.