Spiced Apple Rings - Food.com
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
12 lbfirm tart apples, no more than 2 1/2-inch diameter
1 1?4 cwhite vinegar, 5
3 Tbspwhole cloves
3?4 cred hot cinnamon candies or 8 cinnamon sticks
1 tspred food coloring (optional)
How to Make Spiced Apple Rings - Food.com
- Wash apples. Peel and slice one apple at a time. Immediately cut crosswise into 1/2" slices, remove core area with a melon baller and immerse in ascorbic acid solution to keep the apples from discoloring.
- In a 6 quart saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cloves, cinnamon candies, or cinnamon sticks and food coloring (if using).
- Heat to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves then lower heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Drain apples and add to hot syrup, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Fill prepared jars with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving a 1/2" headspace.
- Check for air bubbles and add more liquid if needed to maintain the 1/2" headspace.
- Process pint or quart size jars in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Adjust time according to your altitude.
- NOTE: This can also be pressure canned. Pressure Canner - Hot pack pints or quarts and process for 8 minutes at the pressure specified according to your altitude and / or style of canner.