It's quick and effortless, you can take it anywhere, and it dresses up nicely ;)
I like to have leftovers for breakfast, warmed in the microwave with a little milk. (shhh, don't tell!)
- 1/2 c
- 1 c
- 1 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
- 1 can(s)
- cherry pie filling
How to Make Mountain Pie
- 1Melt butter in a deep 3 qt casserole dish, while the oven is preheating, or melt it in the microwave.
- 2In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk. Blend in sugar. Then add milk and whisk until smooth.
- 3Once butter is completely melted, pour the batter mix evenly over the melted butter, but DO NOT MIX.
- 4Drop the pie filling by spoonsful over the batter, but DO NOT MIX.
- 5Bake 45-60 min. at 350*, until golden and bubbly.
Serve warm or room temp.
Top with ice cream or whipped cream if you like.
- 6NOTES: Baking time varies a bit with the size and shape of the baking dish, I find. Don't be afraid to give it a little extra time in the oven if it needs it -- you don't want it gooey.
This dessert reheats very well.
Cherry is my favorite pie filling to use in this recipe, but others are also good -- experiment to find your favorite!
*After becoming gluten intolerant we have substituted gluten free flour very successfully.
**If you prefer, use milk and butter substitutes; depending on your filling choice, almond or coconut milk would be wonderful, and soy works well, too.