FRESH PEACH CRISP
5 or 6 largefresh ripe peaches
1 tsplemon juice, fresh or bottled
1/2 cdark brown sugar, equally divided
1/2 tspground cinnamon, equally divided
1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 cgranulated white sugar
1/4 tspbaking powder
1 largeegg, beaten (will use only 1/2)
1/4 cbutter, melted
How to Make FRESH PEACH CRISP
- Lightly butter an 8"x8" glass or stoneware casserole; set aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and one teaspoon lemon juice.
- Wash, peel and pit peaches, then slice peaches into the brown sugar mixture; gently toss to combine.
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, white sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add 1/2 beaten egg to flour mixture and combine with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles very coarse cornmeal with lumps the size of large peas. (This takes some patience. If it is too sticky, you will need to use your fingers to break it into small pieces for the crust; it will work.)
- Pour peaches into prepared dish and sprinkle evenly with flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Sprinkle evenly over the top of the flour mixture.
- Drizzle evenly with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Cover (no aluminum foil!) and refrigerate leftovers.
- Recipe may be doubled for a 9"x13" dish.