Aussie Lemon Coconut Slice - no bake
To make this gluten free, use gluten free shortbread cookies and be sure that your icing sugar (powdered sugar) has NO wheaten cornflour added.
Refrigeration time is "cooking" time.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·1 tin sweetened condensed milk
·200g (7 oz) butter
·500g (10.5 oz) pre packaged shortbread cookies
·2 cups fine desiccated coconut
·1 - 2 tablespoons lemon rind - you can add more if you enjoy an extra lemony tang.
·2 tablespoons lemon juice
·3 cups soft icing mixture (powdered sugar)
·2 heaped tablespoons of very soft butter
·2 - 3 tablespoons lemon juice. enough to thin out the topping.
How to Make Aussie Lemon Coconut Slice - no bake
- Grease and line a large slab tin.
- Combine condensed milk and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over a medium heat stirring constantly for 5 - 6 minutes. Let cool slightly. Use this time to make the icing, finely grate the rind of lemons and juice them for the slice.
- In a food processor blitz the cookies until they are of a fine crumb texture. Add the coconut and blitz again. Add the slightly cooled mixture, lemon rind and lemon juice and blitz until combined.
- Press into the prepared pan and using your finger tips, get the dough into all the corners and crevices and push down hard. Cover with the prepared icing and pop in the fridge for 2 hours to set. Slice into squares and enjoy!
- Icing - Place all the ingredients together in a bowl, starting with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and stir. Add the other tablespoon if it's not thin enough.