Apple Nut Tarte Tatin
I probably was bored one snowy day and started looking through some of my ancient cookbooks. Or maybe I was just fooling around in the kitchen with apples I had picked off my trees.
We planted a variety of apples trees at our home on top of the mountains here in California.
My dear friend Mary & I picked apples starting in late September & canned till November.
My oldest son loved apple pie & would request it instead of a birthday cake.
Is there anything better then the smell of apples, baked goods, or soup on a cold fall day?
·you need to make the pastry dough first.
1 1/4 cmeasure out the flour after you have sifted it, set in refrig to get cold
1/2 tsppowder sugar
1/2 craw organic butter, very hard and cold. i put mine in the freezer
1/8 cvegetable shortening, very hard and cold, i put it in the freezer
4large organic apples, cored, peeled, sliced into 8 even pieces each apple
8 Tbspraw organic butter
·a tad of lemon or orange peel...you know the ones i am always preaching about to grate when you juice a lemon or orange and put in freeze bags.
1 corganic sugar
·cinnamon, to taste
·nutmeg, to taste
·nuts, as many as you like
SOUR CREAM TOPPING
1small carton or sour cream or vanilla greek yogurt
·powdered sugar to sweeten sour cream to taste
·a drop of vanilla
How to Make Apple Nut Tarte Tatin
- Pastry dough: make first. Place a small cookie sheet in the refrig.
- Sift the flour and powdered sugar together. Add the salt.
- Cut the butter and shortening into large pieces. Then cut into flour and powdered sugar with a pastry cutter or two knives. Till it looks like coarse meal.
- Add enough ice water by teaspoon till it holds together.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch. Place on cold cookie sheet and refrigerate.
Please don't handle the dough too much.
Prepare your apples..don't throw the peel away, place them in a freezer bag and freeze them. I will tell you later one day what to do with them,
- Melt butter in a cast iron 7 to 8" pan on a low light.
- Add the sugar and apples to the butter.
- Turn up to the highest heat, stirring until a rich amber color, about 10 -12 mintues. Turning the apples so as not to burn them.
- Add the nuts and the grate lemon or orange peel. Cook 5 mintues longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Arrange the apples in a flower pattern or sunburst pattern overlapping. Being careful not to break the apples.
- Place prepard dough on top and carefully so not to burn yourself, slide the edges of the dough down the inside edges of pan till you reach the apples and syrup. I use a wooden spoon to do this step.
- Bake in oven at 375* 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place a serving warm platter over the pan. Becareful with this next step..and don't burn yourself, Please. I use two long oven mitts to do this step.
Flip the pan and platter over so the Tarte Tatin is on the serving platter.
- Cool slightly..and Serve warm with Sour Cream or the Yogurt. Or with Ice Cream if you like.