T's B-B-Banana Cream Pie
Some recipes use pudding mix from a box and whipped topping. My recipe uses my old-fashioned homemade vanilla pudding, and meringue. It's not hard to make, and the balance of flavors is fresh, luscious perfection.
This pie is synonymous with Spring.
- 8 Tbsp
- butter (divided 4,2,2)
- 1 c
- nilla wafer crumbs
- 3/4 c
- plus 6t. sugar (divided 2,3/4c.,4)
- 4 oz
- semi-sweet baking chocolate squares
- 2 large
- bananas, sliced
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 c
- milk (2% or whole)
- eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 tsp
- vanilla, divided
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
How to Make T's B-B-Banana Cream Pie
- 1Prepare a 9" pie plate with food release spray.
Separate the eggs. Put the yolks in a small heat-safe bowl, set aside. Put the whites in a medium size glass bowl suitable for whipping, then refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 350*
- 2Melt 4T. of the butter.
In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter with the Nilla Wafer crumbs and 2T of the sugar.
Press the crumb mixture firmly on the bottom and side of the pie plate.
- 3In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt 2T of the butter with the squares of chocolate, stirring until smooth. (You could also use the microwave for this, being careful not to scorch the chocolate.)
Spread the chocolate evenly over the bottom of the crust. Set aside.
- 4In a heavy medium saucepan, blend 3/4 cup of sugar, cornstarch, and salt with a wire whisk.
Slowly stir in milk.
Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 5Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, then stir the yolk mixture into the hot mixture. (You're just making sure the eggs don't cook in the hot pudding and make lumps.)
Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- 6Remove from heat, and blend in 2T of the butter, and 1t of the vanilla.
- 7Working quickly, slice the bananas evenly and arrange over the chocolate layer in the pie crust.
Pour the warm pudding evenly over the banana slices. Set aside.
- 8Beat the egg whites with 1/2t vanilla and cream of tartar til soft peaks form.
Add 4T of sugar, one at a time, beating until stiff and glossy peaks form, and the sugar is dissolved -- but do not over-beat.
- 9Spread the meringue over the warm pudding, gently spreading all the way to the edge of the crust.
Bake 12-15 minutes until meringue is golden.
Cool, then chill at least 1 hour.
1) Before cutting, dip the knife in water, so the meringue doesn't stick to the knife.
2) I prefer cream pies served at room temp -- I think the flavors are better. So I recommend letting the pie set on the counter for about 20 minutes before serving.