Traditional Pumpkin Pie
2 tspunsalted butter
2 ccanned unsweetened pumpkin
2 Tbspunbleached all-purpose flour
2/3 cmaple sugar (or 2/3 c brown sugar and 1 tsp maple flavoring)
1 tsppeeled and grated fresh ginger
1 tspground cinnamon
1/2 tspground nutmeg
1/4 tspground cloves
1 can(s)evaporated milk (12 oz)
1unbaked 9" deep dish pie crust
How to Make Traditional Pumpkin Pie
- Melt 1 tsp butter in skillet over medium heat. Add the pumpkin and cook until the moisture is reduced and the pumpkin is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pumpkin to a large bowl and stir in 1 Tbls flour. Add 2/3 cup maple (or brown) sugar and combine.
- Stir in ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. (Add maple flavoring if using brown sugar).
- Place a rimmed baking sheet, large enough to hold your pie plate into the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Grease the bottom of a medium saucepan with the remaining teaspoon of butter and heat the evaporated milk, stirring frequently, until small bubbles begin to appear.
- Pour the milk over the pumpkin and combine well. Beat the eggs and mix into the pumpkin.
- Combine the remaining 1 Tbls. flour and 2 Tbls sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle over the bottom of the piecrust. Pull out oven rack with baking sheet, place piecrust on the baking sheet and pour pumpkin filling into it. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees F and bake about 30 minutes longer or until set.