This is so crazy easy! So flaky! No fail! During the holidays when I know I'll be using a lot of pie crust I make up 3 or 4 at a time and keep them refrigerated.
The flaky buttery taste will make you say "no more" bought pie crust too!
If you're intimidated like I was..just give it a try...you'll be so pleasantly surprised YOU CAN DO IT!
- 12 Tbsp
- very cold butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/3 c
- very cold vegetable shortening
- 6-8 Tbsp
- ice water
How to Make Pie Crust
- 1Dice the butter and return it to the refrigerator.
- 2Combine flour,salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
Pulse 2-3 times to mix.
- 3Add butter and shortening.
Pulse 8-12 times until the mixture has a "pea size" texture.
- 4With the food processor running, add the ice water and pulse the machine until the dough forms a ball.
Dump dough out on to a floured surface.
- 5Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 -1 hour.
- 6When you're ready to make the pie crust cut the dough in half and place 1 half out on a floured surface.
Roll from the center to the edge, then rotate the dough one quarter turn. Repeat rolling and turning until it forms a circle large enough for the pie dish.