Apple Pie from Grandma's Kitchen
- 6 to 8 medium
- pared and cored apples. sliced about 1/4" thick
- 1/2 to 2/3 c
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon (or more, if you like)
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp
- pie crust for double crust pie (i use my fool-proof pie crust recipe)
- raw sugar
How to Make Apple Pie from Grandma's Kitchen
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray a 9" pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
- 2Lightly roll out 1/2 pie crust to 1/8" thickness, about 2 1/2 inches larger than pie plate. Fold in half and fit into pie plate. Trim the edges to fit the pie plate. Place crust in oven for about 5 minutes, remove from oven and set aside. This step will prevent your bottom crust from becoming soggy.
- 3In large bowl, mix apples, sugar, spices, lemon juice and flour. Pour into bottom crust and dot with butter. Moisten the edge of the crust with cold water.
- 4Roll out the remaining pie crust to about 1/8" thick and about 1" larger than the diameter of the plate. Fold in half and place over the apples with the folded half in the center. Carefully unfold and adjust over the apples. Gently press edges together and trim to fit the pie plate. Using a fork dipped in flour, press edges together or crimp edges with fingers. Using a sharp knife, make a few slits in the crust, about 1/2" in length.
- 5Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with raw sugar. Place aluminum foil strips around the edge of the crust.
- 6Line a cookie sheet or pizza pan with aluminum foil and place on the bottom rack in the oven. Place pie on the top rack and bake for about 40 minutes. Remove pie from oven and remove foil. Return to oven and bake for about another 10 minutes or until crust is evenly golden.