Quinoa Bavarian Cream Tart
I credit fannetasticfood.com whom I found through About.com for the vegan crust idea. I credit Chef Andre Soltner for hos Bavarian Cream recipe that I *almost* followed.
I created this for Culinary Quest 2014 challenge "Quinoa Grain of the Gods".
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 cdry quinoa, rinsed well
1/2 csugar, divided
1 cwhole milk
1envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cheavy/whipping cream
1 tsppure vanilla extract
2 craw nuts - almonds, walnuts or other
2 cdried dates or dried apricots
1/2 cunsweetened, shredded coconut
How to Make Quinoa Bavarian Cream Tart
- Combine rinsed quinoa & water in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer & cook until water is absorbed, quinoa is tender & you can see the white tendrils. Set aside (or in fridge/freezer) to cool completely.
- Combine 1c milk, 1/4c sugar & vanilla bean, halved in small saucepan. Bring to a bare simmer (scald). Shut off heat, cover & let steep 10 minutes or so.
- Remove vanilla bean from milk, scrape out seeds & add them back to the milk. Discard pod. Sprinkle gelatin on top of milk. Bring back to a bare simmer, whisking constantly to remove gelatin lumps. Continue until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together 4 egg yolks & the other 1/4c sugar until light & fluffy. WHISK!!
- Very carefully & VERY SLOWLY (start with a few drops & work your way up) add your hot vanilla milk to the egg yolk mixture. Whisk constantly. Yes, it can be tricky. I found that whisking back & forth vs. around & around works best. And makes less of a mess ;) Go slowly....until you've brought the eggs 'up to temperature' meaning they're warm - similar to the milk. Then pour the egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk.
- Put the egg/milk mixture back onto medium low heat. Whisk constantly & don't step away! Around the time it starts to simmer, it should be thick enough to 'coat the back of a spoon'. Dip a spoon, turn it over, run your finger through the custard. If it doesn't fill back in, you're ready to move on! If it does, cook slowly & carefully while whisking for another minute or two then check again.
- Strain through a chinois or other fine meshed sieve. COOL COMPLETELY.
- While the Bavarian Cream is cooling, make your crust.
- Combine your nuts & dried fruit in a food processor & puree. PRESS, really hard, into the bottom of a greased 9" springform pan. Then PRESS it down some more.
- Whip your cream. Add 1TB sugar & 1tsp PURE Vanilla extract.
- When your Bavarian cream is cool, gently stir in 2c quinoa. Then gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Spread over your *very well pressed* crust & refrigerate an hour or more to set up.
- Run a thin knife around the outside of the tart & release the springform. Voila!