Canadian Butter Tarts
this recipe comes my girlfriend in Brantford, Ontario, who got it from her grandmother, love grandmothers recipes...
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 call-purpose flour
1/2 cbrown sugar
1/2 ccorn syrup
1 Tbspmelted butter
1 craisins, optional, or can be replaced with chopped pecans or walnut
How to Make Canadian Butter Tarts
Blend the shortening and the flour with a pastry cutter, or two knives, until you've created a uniform mixture that is crumbly and about the size of frozen peas.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 egg, 1 tbsp white vinegar and 2 tbsp cold water. Add to shortening and flour mixture.
- Mix all ingredients together, but only until just mixed and no more.
The key to flaky pastry is not to overhandle the dough
- For ease of handling, make a ball of the dough, wrap in cellophane and place in freezer for 10-15 mins. Roll out dough onto floured surface to about the thickness of a CD case.
- Using either a cookie cutter or something like a jar lid, cut out circles from the dough. Press dough circles into a muffin pan.
In another bowl, mix well corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter and egg. Add vanilla and stir in raisins.
- Spoon filling into pastry shell to just below the rim.
Bake at 400 for about 10 mins until golden brown.
Makes about a dozen tarts.