Real Italian Ice (Fresh Berry Granita)
Granite are scraped ices. They are somewhat similar in icy texture to a sno-kone. These are made by hand. Also since most Granite do not contain dairy products, most are nonfat.
Properly made, granita consists of tiny, individual, shimmering crystals of flavored ice. With so little sugar and no dairy, granite should taste of fruit or espresso. The trick is to distill the essence of the fruit into the frozen ice.
- 3 c
- fresh berries, puree (your choice. mix and match the sky is the limit!)
- 1 1/2 c
- cold water
- 1/2 c
- sugar or to taste
How to Make Real Italian Ice (Fresh Berry Granita)
- 1Combine 3 cups berry puree and 1 1/2 cups cold water.
Press teh mixture through a fine sieve to remove any skins or seeds.
Sweeten with 1/3 cup sugar or to taste.
- 2In a 13x9x2 inch ceramic or glass pan, pour mixture into the pan.
Place the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- 3Using a large metal spoon, stir frozen crystals from around the edges of the pan back into the liquid.
Put pan back into the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- 4As the mixture continues to freeze, scrape the sppon against the sides and bottom of the pan to loosen and break up the frozen crystals.
Repeat this scraping process every 30 minutes or so until the mixture is frozen and a bit creamy.
About 3 hours total.
Scoop the crystals into individual serving bowls or goblets and serve immediately.
- 5Chefs Note: The sky is the limit with this. You can work with virtually any fresh fruit juice.
Some combinations would be:
Espresso Granita: 2 c brewed espresso with 1/4 c sugar. Add a tbsp or so of your favorite liqueur optional
Caffe Latte Granita: Combine 1/2 c espresso with 1 c milk and 1/4 c sugar.
Lemon Granita: Combine 1/2 c freshly squeezed lemon juice with 1 1/2 c cold water, 1/2 c sugar and a tsp or so of grated lemon zest.
Orange or Pink Grapefruit Granita: 1 1/2 C freshly squeezed orange or pink grapefruit juice with 1/2 c cold water, 1/3 c sugar, and a tsp or so of grated orange or grapefruit zest.
You can use strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, watermelon, peaches and more..as I said, the sky is the limit!