BURNT SUGAR ICE CREAM (SALLYE)
How to Make BURNT SUGAR ICE CREAM (SALLYE)
- 1NOTE: INSTRUCTIONS IN PARANTHESES ARE MY INTERPRETATIONS ADDED FOR CLARIFICATION. THE BULK OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE COPIED EXACTLY FROM MY GRANDMOTHER'S HAND WRITTEN NOTES..
- 2(Lightly whisk eggs together until frothy, set aside)
(Separate out 1 cup of sugar and set aside)
(Beat 1 quart of heavy cream until soft peaks form and set aside)
- 3(Over medium high heat), caramelize 2 cups granulated sugar in a thick pan and let boil until a good brown.
(Stir often with wooden spoon to avoid burning)
- 4In the top of a double boiler combine the beaten eggs, 1 cup sugar, salt and 1 quart of cream.
When the custard has thickened, add the caramelized sugar while very hot.
Strain and cool. (I'm not sure exactly what she meant by strain, I would just set aside pan covered by plastic wrap or airtight cover until cool. The plastic wrap or cover will prevent it forming a crust.)
- 5(When cool) add vanilla to taste, then add the extra quart of cream just half whipped.
Freeze in hand freezer - I mean by agitation.
- 6Serve with toasted almonds sprinkled over top. (optional)