Almond Poppy Seed Cherry Balls
1 pkgsugar cookie mix
1 Tbsppoppy seeds
1/2 cbutter (softened)
3 ozcream cheese
2 tspalmond extract (divided)
1 cchopped almonds (divided)
2 jar(s)10 oz maraschino cherries drained and stems removed
1 cconfectioners' sugar
How to Make Almond Poppy Seed Cherry Balls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, combine cookie mix, flour, poppy seed, butter, cream cheese, 1 tsp almond extract, egg and 1/2 cup almonds. Beat until soft dough forms.
- Roll dough into 1 1/4-inch balls; flatten and shape dough around each cherry, forming a ball. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon almond extract and enough water to give the glaze a nice spreading consistency. Dip cookies into glaze and then in chopped almonds. Store tightly covered in a single layer at room temperature.