Recipe: Traditional Scottish Cookery
1/2 ccaster (superfine) sugar
1 Tbspboiling water
few dash(es)vanilla extract
3/4 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking powder
2/3 cheavy cream
6-8 ozstrawberries, whole
3 Tbsppowdered sugar
How to Make STRAWBERRY SANDWICHES
- Grease and line with parchment paper the bases of two 8-inch baking pans.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff. Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time, whisking well after each addition until stiff. Whisk in the caster sugar, water, and a few drops of vanilla extract.
- Gently add the flour and baking powder, folding with a metal spoon. Turn mixture into the prepared pans and level them out with a spatula.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes until risen, golden, and the centers spring back when touched lightly.
- Cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack; remove the paper and leave to cool.
- Whip the heavy cream until peaking. Mash the strawberries, reserving several for slicing, together with 2 Tbsp. of the powdered sugar and a few drops of vanilla extract. Sandwich between the two cakes. Sprinkle with remaining powdered sugar and garnish with some strawberry slices.