CAST IRON PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
- 1 can(s)
- (20 oz.) sliced pineapple (rings)
- 1/4 c
- butter (1/2 stick or 4 tablespoons; salted or unsalted, your preference)
- 2/3 c
- packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 c
- pecan halves (approximately; may substitute maraschino cherry halves, if desired) )
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 3/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 c
- vegetable shortening (4 tablespoons)
- 1/2 c
- 1 large
- 2 Tbsp
- reserved pineapple juice
How to Make CAST IRON PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
- 1Gather all ingredients. Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- 5Place a pineapple slice on top of melted sugar in middle of pan, then place slices around it, overlapping slightly.
- 8Add shortening and milk; beat 2 minutes at high speed with electric mixer (until smooth.)
- 10Gently pour batter over pineapple slices in skillet and spread evenly.
- 11Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes, or until golden and cake springs back when gently touched in the center with finger.
- 14Lightly cover and refrigerate leftovers. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.