CAST IRON PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
1 can(s)(20 oz.) sliced pineapple (rings)
1/4 cbutter (1/2 stick or 4 tablespoons; salted or unsalted, your preference)
2/3 cpacked light brown sugar
1/3 cpecan halves (approximately; may substitute maraschino cherry halves, if desired) )
1 call purpose flour
3/4 cgranulated sugar
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
1/4 cvegetable shortening (4 tablespoons)
2 Tbspreserved pineapple juice
How to Make CAST IRON PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
- Gather all ingredients. Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Place a pineapple slice on top of melted sugar in middle of pan, then place slices around it, overlapping slightly.
- Add shortening and milk; beat 2 minutes at high speed with electric mixer (until smooth.)
- Gently pour batter over pineapple slices in skillet and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes, or until golden and cake springs back when gently touched in the center with finger.
- Lightly cover and refrigerate leftovers. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.