CRUSHED PEPPERMINT CHEESECAKE
Recipe & photo: tasteofhome.com
20peppermint or mint creme oreo cookies, finely crushed
3 Tbspbutter, melted
5 pkg(8 oz.ea.) cream cheese, softened
1 c(8 oz.) sour cream
3 Tbspall purpose flour
2 tsppeppermint extract
4eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 ccrushed candy canes or peppermint candies
·additional crushed candy canes or coarsely chopped oreo cookies, optional
How to Make CRUSHED PEPPERMINT CHEESECAKE
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18" square). Wrap foil securely around pan. In a small bowl, mix cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom of the pan. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in sour cream, flour and extract. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended.
- Remove 1-1/2 cups of batter to a small bowl; stir in crushed candy canes. Pour plain batter over crust. Drop candy cane batter by tablespoonfuls over the plain batter. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Place springform pan in a larger baking pan; add 1 inch of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake cheesecake in a preheated 325º oven for 70-80 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides from pan with a knife; remove foil. Cool cheesecake 1 hour longer.
- Refrigerate overnight, covering when completely cooled.
- Remove rim from pan. Top with additional crushed candy canes or Oreos if desired.
- NOTE: The water bath is necessary to keep the cheesecake from cracking and also makes it extra creamy.