Sweet Cookies (Soet Koekies)
A Soet Koekie can be any sweet cookie - traditionally they are butter cookies sprinkled with sugar - similar to Dutch biscuits.
These may seem similar to Jolly Jammers but I assure you - they are gorgeous!
300 gicing sugar
500 gcake flour
3 tspbaking powder
1 tspvanilla extract
1 cjam, any flavor
How to Make Sweet Cookies (Soet Koekies)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius - Grease a few cookie sheets with butter or non stick spray.
In South Africa we use celsius - please convert to US usage.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar until its light and fluffy - add the eggs one at a time beating well after each egg.
- Sift the dry ingredients and gently fold it into the creamed mixture. Add the vanilla extract working gently as you fold it in. Place mixture in the refridgerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Take dough and and shape teaspoonfuls (depending on size you want, you can make larger cookies) into round balls. Pack them on the cookie sheet - leave space for spreading. Use your finger or the end of a rolling pin to make a hole in the centre of the cookie. Fill this hole with jam of your choice.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes or until they turn a light straw colour and the jam is well and truly melted. Place them on a rack to cool.
NOTE: These cookies are ideal for the holidays. Be inventive and see what else you can fill the holes with - fruit mince, sweet dessicated coconut etc.