Nicky's Sand Tart Cookies
Blue Ribbon Recipe
A really tasty, light cookie! With a delicate lemon flavor these are both refreshing and addictive. The Test Kitchen
- 1 1/4 c
- sugar sifted
- 3/4 c
- real butter
- egg yolk
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- lemon zest (grated lemon rind)
- 3 c
- bread flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp
- salt (if butter is unsalted)
- egg white
- 1/2 c
- almonds, split and blanched
A GOOD SAND TART WITH A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT FLAVOR MAY BE MADE BY FOLLOWING THIS RECIPE AND SUBSTITUTING 1 1/3 CUPS OF BROWN SUGAR FOR WHITE SUGAR
How to Make Nicky's Sand Tart Cookies
- 1Beat butter until soft and gradually add the sugar until all is creamy.
- 2Then beat in one at a time, the egg, the egg yolk, the vanilla and the lemon zest.
- 3Sift flour and salt (if necessary) together and gradually add into the butter mixture until the ingredients are well blended.
- 4Chill the dough for several hours.
- 5When chilled, roll the dough until it is very thin. Cut it into inch and a half rounds or any desired shape and place on greased cookie sheet or parchment paper.
- 6Brush tops with egg white.
- 7Sprinkle them generously with sugar, and garnish them with the blanched split almonds.
- 8Bake them at 350F for about 5 minutes or until the edges begin to turn slightly brown. Remove from heat immediately as they can burn quickly.
- 9HINT: I am not an accomplished baker, and usually would tear the thinly rolled dough getting the cookies to the parchment paper. I found that I could roll the dough out on the parchment, then transfer whole thing to my cookie sheet, cut my cookies out in neat rows and remove the excess dough from around them, then egg, sprinkle, garnish, and bake.