Low Sodium Peanut Butter Cookies (5mg per cookie)
Sodium-free baking soda and no-salt peanut butter, are readily available online. I used EnerG no-sodium baking powder and Teddy Bear all-natural unsalted peanut butter to make these cookie, both sold on Amazon, although the peanut butter is less expensive in bulk from the factory.
The cookies taste of sugar and peanuts and may seem too sweet to some. Skip rolling the raw balls of dough in sugar if you wish a less sweet cookie.
1 1/2 call purpose flour
1 tspsodium-free baking soda (or 1/2 tsp regular baking soda)
1/2 cbutter, unsalted, at room temperature (1 stick)
1/2 cdark brown sugar
1/4 cgranulated sugar, plus 3 tbl., divided
1 Tbspvanilla extract
3/4 cunsalted peanut butter
How to Make Low Sodium Peanut Butter Cookies (5mg per cookie)
- Stir baking soda into flour and set aside.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy using an electric mixer or vigorously beat by hand. One at a time, beating until light and fluffy each time, add the brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, egg, vanilla extract and peanut butter.
- Beat in the flour mixture in thirds, beating between each. Scrape down the bowl as necessary to mix all ingredients. Do not over beat. Cover the dough and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Space two racks, at least 3 inches apart) in the middle of the oven.
- Bake the cookies for a total of 10 minutes, turning and switching cookie sheets half way through. If you do not open the oven and turn the cookies or use a convection oven, cook for 8 to 9 minutes and watch carefully for uneven cooking. Do not overcook.