Hazelnut-Toasted Coconut Crispy Treats
So I moved on to grown up RCTs. Kids of all ages like them. One lady, who insisted she HATED coconut was persuaded by a friend to try my toasted coconut version. She loved them, ate 3, and asked for the recipe!
Now wheat free, I found nut pastes often help structure as well as flavor. They are here for flavor & really work!
Easy, quick, no baking on a hot day like today.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Hazelnut is a favorite of mine and this recipe did not disappoint. These are the treats you loved as a kid ... only BETTER!
I had a hard time finding hazelnut paste locally, so I made some on my own. Here is my recipe:
2 cups chopped hazelnuts
2 egg whites (I used the powdered egg whites)
1 cup 10X sugar
1 T Frangelica The Test Kitchen
- 1 pkg
- (10 oz) marshmallows, regular
- 1 pkg
- (8oz) toasted coconut marshmallows
- 8 c
- puffed rice cereal
- 1/3 c
- butter, unsalted
- 1/2 c
- hazelnut paste (lovenbake is the one i always use!)
- 1/2 c
- unsweetened toasted coconut
- 1/2 c
- toasted hazelnuts, chopped (or pecans,etc, if you do not have hazelnuts)
- 1/2 c
- chopped dark chocolate
How to Make Hazelnut-Toasted Coconut Crispy Treats
- 1Grease with butter a 9x13 in. pan. Then line with parchment paper. Have paper come up over the ends, to make a handle, making it easier to lift treats out of pan.
Make sure you have thoroughly stirred the hazelnut paste, to disburse oil at the top. Like natural peanut butter, the oil rises and must be stirred back in. Then it is ready to measure for cooking. Almond paste does not have to be stirred, as it doesn't separate, but it ready to use when you open the can.
- 2Heat butter in a large, heavy pan, over low heat, and when melted, add regular and toasted coconut marshmallows. Stir occasionally to distribute marshmallows throughout, and help them melt, about 5 minutes. Add hazelnut paste and stir until paste is melted, and mixture is well blended.
- 4Scrape one half of mixture into the pan. Quickly, with buttered hands or well buttered spatula (hands work better) push and compact mixture into pan. Sprinkle evenly with chopped chocolate. Top with remaining marshmallow mixture, and pat down, covering chocolate layer.
You want to move quickly during these steps so that the mixture does not become too hard to maneuver in pan.
Let mixture cool, or place in refrigerator for 15 minutes to cool faster.
- 6NOTE: I have made these with almond paste, using 4-6 oz. of leftover paste. Can add a touch of almond extract if desired. I used chopped almonds, toasted, or pecans if I have on hand.
They are rather classy crispy treats and have been requested at adult gatherings. Since anything goes when making them, there is a version for everyone!
I hope you try them and let me know how you like them!
P.S. Sweetened coconut, even toasted, makes them overly sweet. I use KAF toasted coconut as purchased, or unsweetened coconut I toast myself if I have to do so. It adds a nice flavor to the cereal, and the nut pastes.
Gluten-Free: Just make sure your ingredients, including Rice Cereal is gluten free. Most boxes today say so right on the front or side with nutrient information.