Recipes from a good friend and neighbor in Mi.,Grandma Kross.
3/4 cbrown sugar, packed
3/4 cdark molasses
3 call purpose flour
1/2 cchopped almonds
1 1/4 tspeach of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 tspeach ground cloves and allspice
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 cmixed candied fruit, ground
GERMAN SOUR CREAM COOKIES:
1 coleo (margarine or butter or crisco)
5 largeegg yolks
1 3/4 cgranulated sugar
5 call purpose flour
1 tspeach of baking powder, salt and baking soda
1 cdairy sour cream
How to Make Gingerbread Santa
- GERMAN SOUR CREAM COOKIES:
Combine oleo, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla thoroughly in a large mixing bowl. Combine the sour cream and baking soda. Stir in all dry ingredients, alternately with the sour cream mixture.
- Chill dough for 15 minutes. Roll a small portion of dough on a lightly floured board. Cut with your Santa or Gingerbread boy cutter or other festive Christmas cookie cutters. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place cutouts on greased baking sheets- sprinkle with sugar if desired.
Bake in 350^ for 10-12 minutes just until bottom is lightly browned.
- Remove cookies from baking sheet immediately to cool on brown paper or newspaper.
Decorate with decorator icing or just frost with this recipe below, and sprinkle with colored sugars, etc.
- Dream Whip Frosting-from 1956
1 envelope Dream Whip powdered mix
1/2 cup very cold milk
1 pound powdered sugar(4 cups)
3 Tablespoons butter,melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons milk -add if mixture is too thick
Beat together in mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- ROLLED LEBKUCHEN:
Beat eggs and brown sugar until fluffy.Stir in honey and molasses. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Stir in fruit and nuts. Chill dough overnight.
Roll dough to 1/4" thick. Cut with coolie cutter Gingerbread Man cutter or other cutters. Bake on greased cookie sheets for 12 minutes at 350^. Cool slightly before removing from baking sheets. Frost as you desire.May frost while warm and decorate top with red candied cherry or almond half.