Famous Ohio Buckeyes
They are very rich candies that are delish. I will dip them in different colored chocolates for the holiday and sprinkle colored sugars.
Now, when I first started making these I used paraffin wax but quickly found another way. I just don't like using it. It does give a shinier outside but that doesn't matter to my family.
Hope you enjoy.
- 1 stick
- butter, softened
- 18 oz
- jar of jif creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp
- vanilla or one vanilla bean
- 1 lb
- confectioners' sugar, approx.
- 2 lb
- candy chocolate, approx.
- 1 box
- wax paper
How to Make Famous Ohio Buckeyes
- 1Cream together your first 3 ingredients. Then start adding your sugar a cup or two at a time. Now this will get really hard to mix and I usually grab my husband at this point to stir this together. But you want it to be sorta crumbly but still sticking together. So, you may use the whole pd. of sugar or not. Once you make them a few times you will get the right texture down. I have made these so many times I really don't measure to much. If you find it to dry add some more peanut butter.
- 2Now, begin rolling into small balls about 1 inch in size and place on a cookie sheet with wax paper. Once you have them rolled push toothpicks down in center of each Buckeye. About 1/2 way or so. You will place these in the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes or so just to get them cold.
(Don't let them get too cold or else you will cause the chocolate to crack after they are dipped)