Civil War Ginger Spice Cookies
One note: the original recipe called for lard. I changed it to butter because we don't keep lard in the house. But I know my grandmother did.
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1 cbutter, softened
1 1/2 csorghum
2 tspbaking soda
1/2 chot water
5 cflour (approximate)
How to Make Civil War Ginger Spice Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. You will need several UNgreased baking sheets.
- Cream together brown sugar, butter, and sorghum. Add eggs; beat until well blended.
- Stir baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg into hot water; stir into creamed mixture, blending thoroughly. Add flour and mix well.
- Drop dough from a teaspoon onto an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar, or flatten with a glass dipped in white sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pans, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.