Tootsie Roll Bites
These are soft, chewy chocolate taste of the Tootsie Rolls of yesterday- not the ones they sell today.
If you like you can roll them in chopped nuts or coconut when finished.
These make great gifts.
This recipe makes about 90 pieces.
- 2 oz
- unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 c
- light corn syrup (i use karo)
- 2 Tbsp
- softened butter
- 3/4 c
- powdered milk
- 1 tsp
- 2 to 3 c
- powdered sugar, sifted
How to Make Tootsie Roll Bites
- 1Melt the chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl or in a double boiler over simmering water.
Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, stir in the corn syrup and the butter, stirring until the butter is melted. Stir in the powdered MILK and the vanilla.
- 2Add one cup of the powdered sugar and stir until it is incorporated.
Once that sugar is mixed in, add a second cup of powdered sugar and stir to mix. At this point the dough will start getting stiff and it might be difficult to stir more powdered sugar into the candy.
- 3Dust a flat surface with powdered sugar, and knead the candy until it is smooth. If it is still very soft, knead in more powdered sugar until it is firm but not dry and crumbly. Your might need up to 3 cups of powdered sugar total.
- 4Once the tootsie roll candy is smooth and has a firm but supple texture, break off a palm-sized piece and roll it into a long, thin rope. Using a sharp knife, cut it into small pieces and place them on a baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is used up.
- 5Refrigerate on tray until they firm up about 1 hour. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 weeks-best to wrap each piece in plastic wrap so they don't stick together from condensation from the refrigerator. Bring to room temp before serving.