Soft British Caramels
Please be careful when making caramels as the high sugar content can cause serious burns - NOT a recipe for children to help with.
Don't put caramels in the fridge.
Recipe from "Good Housekeeping" UK
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·2 x tins of sweetened condensed milk
·200g (7 oz) unsalted butter
·200 g (7 oz) brown sugar
·3 tb golden syrup
·1 ts vanilla
·1 ts sea salt
How to Make Soft British Caramels
- Line a 20.5 cm (8 inch) square tin with baking paper.
- In a medium heavy based saucepan, melt the condensed milk, butter, sugar and syrup. Stir (you can use a whisk as it has a bigger surface area) well until the sugar dissolves and butter melts.
- Once the mixture is smooth and all is melted, increase the heat and bring to a steady boil for 8 minutes (use a timer) and stir constantly.
- After 8 minutes, the mixture should be a lovely golden colour. Quickly add in the vanilla and salt and stir. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Leave to cool overnight and then slice into small squares.