★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 ozunsweetened chocolate, cut up (or 3 tbsp cocoa + 1 tbsp oil or shortening)
1 tsplight corn syrup
1 tspvanilla extract
1/2 cchopped nuts (optional)
How to Make Olde Fashioned Fudge
- Line a 9x5" pan with foil, extending foil over edges. Butter foil and set aside.
- Butter sides of a heavy duty 2 quart pot.
- In pot, combine sugar, milk, chocolate and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium-high heat till mixture boils.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently till soft ball stage (234 degrees).
- Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla but DO NOT STIR!
- Let cool about 50 minutes (till 110 degrees).
- Beat mixture vigorously till fudge begins to thicken. If desired, add nuts.
- Continue beating till fudge is thick and begins to lose its glossy look (About 10 minutes).
- Immediately spread fudge into prepared pan. Score into squares while still warm.