★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 c
- 3/4 c
- 2 oz
- unsweetened chocolate, cut up (or 3 tbsp cocoa + 1 tbsp oil or shortening)
- 1 tsp
- light corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/2 c
- chopped nuts (optional)
How to Make Olde Fashioned Fudge
- 1Line a 9x5" pan with foil, extending foil over edges. Butter foil and set aside.
- 2Butter sides of a heavy duty 2 quart pot.
- 3In pot, combine sugar, milk, chocolate and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium-high heat till mixture boils.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low and continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently till soft ball stage (234 degrees).
- 5Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla but DO NOT STIR!
- 6Let cool about 50 minutes (till 110 degrees).
- 7Beat mixture vigorously till fudge begins to thicken. If desired, add nuts.
- 8Continue beating till fudge is thick and begins to lose its glossy look (About 10 minutes).
- 9Immediately spread fudge into prepared pan. Score into squares while still warm.