Homemade Vanilla Bean Marshmallows
I wish I would have gotten a picture of them by themselves...but I think you can tell what they would look like for the most part with this photo.
These are sooooooo good! Especially when melted slightly...and because of this, guess who's making homemade marshmallows come Bon Fire Time?!?! YUP I've been nominated!!!
This recipe was adapted from Alton Brown on Food Network. And Annies Eats (annies-eats.com)
- 1 c
- water, divided
- 3 pkg
- unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 c
- light corn syrup
- vanilla bean, scraped or 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 Tbsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/4 c
- powdered sugar
- 1/4 c
How to Make Homemade Vanilla Bean Marshmallows
- 1In a large bowl of a stand mixer, add 1/2c water and sprinkle gelatin over top and allow to soften at least 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1/2 c water, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla bean seeds or paste and salt. Cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches 240 on a candy thermometer, remove from heat.
- 2Attach the whisk attachment to your mixer turn on low and slowly drizzle syrup into bowl, trying not to hit the whisk, once all the syrup has been added, turn mixer on high and beat until the mixture is very thick and lukewarm, about 10 minutes Add vanilla extract and beat 1 more minute.
- 3In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar and corn starch. Spray a 9x13 pan. Coat bottom and sides lightly with the powdered sugar mixture, reserving the remaining sugar mixture for later.
Using a spatula that has been lightly coated with cooking spray pour marshmallow into prepared pan and spread as evenly as possible. Dust with a layer of sugar mixture. Again, reserving the rest for later. Let stand uncovered at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 4Invert marshmallow onto a cutting board. Cut into desired shapes with a pizza cutter or cookie cutter that have been dipped in the sugar mixture. (pizza cutter works the best)
Roll each marshmallow in the sugar mixture to coat all sticky sides. This prevents them from sticking together.
- 5Store in an air tight container up to 3 weeks.