Can make other colors and flavors for other holidays!
Jen's Favorite recipe.
- 4 pkg
- (small envelopes)knox unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 c
- cold water
- juice and peel of 1/2 an orange , if desired to use
- 3/4 c
- 2 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp
- orange extract
- 3 fl
- drops each of red and yellow food coloring
- granulated sugar for coating 1-2 cups
How to Make Halloween Gumdrops
- 1Combine Knox with the 1/2 cup water and the juice from half the orange. Set aside for 6 minutes.
- 2Combine 3/4 cup water with sugar. Cut peel from orange 1/2 in large chunks and add that to sugar mixture. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, then remove and discard orange peel (or keep for other baking such as nut bread,cakes or cookies).Add food coloring and extract sugar mixture.
- 3Add Knox mixture to syrup, and stir until completely dissolved.
Pour into an 11x7-inch pan lined foil and sprayed. Chill for several hours.
- 4Turn out chilled set block onto cutting board well coated in sugar. Spread more sugar over the top. Cut into cubes.
Place cubes in a baggie filled with sugar, and toss to coat evenly. Chill again up to 2- 3 days. Use a colander to remove excess sugar from gumdrops before serving-(save sugar for baking other goodies)
Use other flavors for other holidays with other flavored extracts and colors.