Easy Pistachio Nougat
You could make this recipe with almonds or hazelnuts as well... In my humble opinion it would be delicious with all three nuts also...
·2 cups white sugar
·1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
·1/4 tsp salt
·1/4 cup water
·2 egg whites
·green food coloring (optional)
·4 tbsp butter
·1 1/2 cup toasted pistachios
How to Make Easy Pistachio Nougat
- Entirely cover an 8 x 8 inch pan with aluminum foil.
- Put a large pot on medium high heat and add the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water and cook until the mixture reaches the hard-ball stage (120°C).
- While mixture is cooking, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- When sugar syrup has reached 120 degrees, remove from heat and gradually pour ONE QUARTER of the mixture into the egg whites, continue beating until the egg whites hold their shape.
- Place the pot with the rest of syrup on the stove and continue cooking over medium high heat until the mixture reaches 150 degrees (hard-crack stage).
- Do not turn the mixer off, slowly add the rest of the syrup into the egg mixture and continue beating until the mixture is thick and stiff.
- If using add a few drops of food coloring to turn a delicate green color.
Next add the softened butter and beat until the candy is very thick and satiny.
- Now add the nuts and mix until well combined, spoon into the pan, press down gently, making it smooth and even. Leave to set at room temperature.
- When ready to serve cut into small squares and enjoy.