Date Nut Log
This is similar to some fruit cake recipes that I have seen on JAP but uses only the marshmallows, dates, and nuts -- and is smaller in size so it is not overpowering. You can add other things if you like -- such as raisins, or candied fruit. You may need to add a little more graham crackers and cream to hold it all together.
In doing research on it, it seems that this is a no-bake, no-cook Victorian Christmas candy, meaning it is done as a special treat and reminder of the Holiday -- and you don't have to heat up the kitchen to make it. Enjoy!
- 2 c
- dates, cut in very small pieces
- 1 c
- walnuts, chopped small
- 1/2 pkg
- miniature marshmallows cut in half (2 cups)
- 1/2 pt
- 2 c
- graham cracker crumbs
- additional graham cracker for coating when done
How to Make Date Nut Log
- 1Mix dates, marshmallows, nuts and cream.
- 2Add 2 cups graham cracker crumbs. Work well to solid form, (like meat loaf). Add more crumbs if too sticky
- 3Separate into to 2 portions shaped like liverworst (longish tube or log), place on waxed paper (or plastic wrap -- not aluminum foil) onto which more graham crackers have been sprinkled.
- 4Roll to cover in crumbs and then wrap and refrigerate for a couple of hours. When they have "set up" they can then be removed and sliced for serving.
- 5Will store, as rolls, in fridge for quite a while so they can be made ahead, then removed when needed. Slice just before serving.
- 6NOTE 1: It has occurred to me that rather than chopping all these tiny things before hand -- the dryish ingredients could be placed in a food processor which would chop and mangle things very small. Perhaps the cream would assist the chopping or maybe should be added after they are chopped up? Then add the graham cracker crumbs, perhaps by hand, to form and shape.
- 7NOTE 2: These are actually quite versatile little things. You can add other things, like cherries, or peanuts. If you have the patience you could even cut up caramels for inclusion, too. You could also add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or cloves if you like.
- 8And you can roll the logs in coconut, or crushed nuts, instead of more graham crackers, too. After you slice them, they could also be dipped in melted chocolate, so they are all ready to serve with no rush at serving time.
- 9This is an opportunity to be creative and make something really special for the people in your life. Enjoy!