Coffee Meringue Kisses
NOTE: It is best to make meringue cookies when the humidity is low. They will not properly crisp up in damp weather.
How to Make Coffee Meringue Kisses
- Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Use nonstick cookie sheets, or line regular cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor with a metal blade, process the sugar and coffee powder until the texture of the sugar becomes very fine.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and vanilla extract with an electric mixer at medium speed, until very frothy.
- Add cream of tartar, and continue beating at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Increase beater speed to high, and gradually beat in sugar-coffee mixture.
- Continue beating until soft peaks form and mixture has a glossy sheen.
- To pipe cookies from pastry bag: Fill pastry bag (or 1-gallon freezer bag), fitted with Number 6 plain round pastry tube, with meringue.
- Hold bag upright over prepared cookie sheets and squeeze out meringue, leaving pastry tip buried in meringue, until you have piped out a round about 1 1/2" in diameter.
- Lift up tip and stop squeezing.
- Leave 1" between cookies or, drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet, leaving 2" between cookies.
- Bake 1 hour without opening oven door. Turn off oven, and let meringues dry in oven 2-3 hours more without opening oven door.
- (After the first hour, it's okay to peek just once.)
- Remove the meringues from the cookie sheet with a spatula.
- Store in airtight container--makes about 3 dozen.