☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 lbdark brown sugar
2 cdark karo syrup
1 can(s)sweetened condensed milk
opt. Tbsplarge flake seat salt
How to Make Caramels
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed skillet and stir until well combined and smooth.
- Over medium heat, bring to a medium boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir until a candy thermometer registers 248 degrees F or 120 C (firm ball stage - If you drop a bit of it into cold water it will hold a roundish shape, but can be squeezed into other shapes by hand). This can take 30-45 minutes. It took about 35 in the 4 qt. saucepan I used.
- Line a large jelly roll pan (12" x 17") with parchment paper and carefully pour the hot caramel mixture into the pan. Spread out and smooth with a spatula. Cool for 15-20 minutes, then sprinkle generously with large flaked sea salt if desired.
- While slightly warm, cut into desired shapes. A bench or pastry scraper works very well to do this. Wrap in foil or wax paper.