Candy from Bahamas - Coconut Crèmes
The plethora of coconut palm trees on the islands allows for creativity in cooking and baking.
With just a handful of simple ingredients, you can create these delectable pink and white beauties. They are pleasing to both eye and palate alike.
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 3 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla (optional)
- pink or red food colouring
How to Make Candy from Bahamas - Coconut Crèmes
- 1First, lightly grease a baking pan.
- 2Next bring your water to boil, then add your grated coconut and sugar in a thick bottomed saucepan over medium heat and cook.
- 3Keep it cooking until the water evaporates and your mixture is sticky.
- 4Next, remove from heat and mix with a wooden spoon until your concoction slightly hardens, or can hold together for a few minutes.
- 5Add mixture to your prepared pan, pressing lightly with the back of a wooden spoon.
- 6Repeat process to make a second batch, this time adding a couple of drops of red food coloring.
- 7Spread on top of the original batch.
- 8Once set, cut into bite-size squares (the traditional Bahamian way)