Candy from Bahamas - Coconut Crèmes
The plethora of coconut palm trees on the islands allows for creativity in cooking and baking.
With just a handful of simple ingredients, you can create these delectable pink and white beauties. They are pleasing to both eye and palate alike.
How to Make Candy from Bahamas - Coconut Crèmes
- First, lightly grease a baking pan.
- Next bring your water to boil, then add your grated coconut and sugar in a thick bottomed saucepan over medium heat and cook.
- Keep it cooking until the water evaporates and your mixture is sticky.
- Next, remove from heat and mix with a wooden spoon until your concoction slightly hardens, or can hold together for a few minutes.
- Add mixture to your prepared pan, pressing lightly with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Repeat process to make a second batch, this time adding a couple of drops of red food coloring.
- Spread on top of the original batch.
- Once set, cut into bite-size squares (the traditional Bahamian way)